UNIZIK Students Hostel Gutted by Fire in Awka.
In Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, A (3-storey Building) students Hostel has been reportedly gutted by Fire today at the Kwata Area of the popular UNIZIK junction in Awka, Anambra State. The Building at Doris Nwufo Street opp Dominion City, Akwata Junction just after Jesse Hotel, Awka containing 8 flats was saved from the terrible outbreak by the Anambra state fire Service Led by Engr. Agbili martins. In an interview with the firefighter this morning, he said the Outbreak was caused by: an ELECTRIC SURGE which emanated from the wall socket in one of the rooms.
Thank God, no life was lost and we prevented the fire from spreading to other parts of the rooms in that flat.
Meanwhile, I wish to express my sincere gratitude to SA to Governor on Student mobilisation, Comrade Innocent Nduanya, SSA to Governor on Media, Hon Ifeanyi Aniagor and SA to Governor on Pharmaceutical Matters, Pharm Chibuzor Valentine Okaa. They were consistently calling and were also present around the scene of fire. If not for them, there is no way the Fire Service will know that there was an outbreak.
I can recall, people were asking me during the early hours of today, why we do not join others to embark on strike (industrial action). My reply was that we are on an essential duty. Again, I also made it known to them that if we embark on strike and there is fire outbreak anywhere, it will be difficult to extinguish it.
Please, avoid anything that can cause fire outbreak. Fire kills but you can prevent it. ALSO, try and call Fire Service IN TIME whenever there is fire outbreak because that is the only thing you owe them. We will always be at your service,
More pictures from the scene: