In a recent development in Haruna, Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, at least Eight people have been confirmed dead and about 150 victims rescued so far after a residential 6-storey building collapsed trapping occupants. Information reaching MNI confirms that a Red cross Team is leading all efforts to find trapped individuals and rescue them. This happened Late night on Friday, April 29th, 2016. More data coming Shortly. . .
The Red Cross Society has said they managed to pull three children and an adult from the remains of the six-story building, adding that 150 building units and adjacent homes were affected.
Live TV footage showed the National Youth Service and firefighters removing stones and a crowd cheering as a child was removed from the rubble.
Nairobi’s Police Chief, Japheth Koome who confirmed the death toll said hours-long traffic jams caused by flooded roads delayed.
AP reports that man who said he lived in the house adjacent to the one that collapsed , said the building was constructed “shoddily” The building had been constructed in less than five months and the 126 single rooms were quickly occupied at a rent of $35 a month.
Area legislator Stephen Kariuki said this was the second building to collapse in a year. He blamed the county government of failing to follow through with demolitions of buildings that were identified as unfit for human occupation.
Meanwhile, The President of Kenya, Uhuru Kenyata just arrived the scene of the incident.
View more Pictures below . . .